Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Date Night

I don't normally talk about my marriage. It's not becuase it's awful, or because it's fantastic, but honestly I don't think about it.  Now before you gasp for breath, I think of my husband, I adore my husband. We can drive eachother totally crazy then turn around and die laughing. It's just pair for the course, I bet most of y'all are in the same boat. But when it comes to our marriage, it doesn't cross my mind often. It's so part of who I am, who we are, that on the second nature. But is that ok?

There's comfort in it. There's familiarity in it. You getting into grooves, in to seasons, things are just good. It's not hard it's, not difficult, it's just good. You fall into routines, and routines are good, but they might not be healthy. I'm starting to think with marriage, if you're not feeding it you're killing it. 


Your marriage needs to be a priority. Not just your spouse, but your actual marriage as a whole. I really think you can care for your spouse and not like your marriage. There needs to be restoration in our marriage, not that our marriage is horrible. Not that there was adultery, jealousy, abuse, anything that you would typically think that needed restoration. But we need restoration from boring. We need restoration from a lazy marriage. That's it, we have a lazy marriage. It is comfortable, it's safe, but it's not active. It's not growing. It's not stretching. It just is.

So were changing it, date night here we come! Conversations that don't revolve around our children. Conversations that don't revolve around our business. Conversation that revolve around what we are passionate about, what we love about each other, all the cheesiness that you can stomach.


Remember when you first started dating, and you wanted to know everything the other person was thinking, everything that had ever happened to the other person, every detail of every second. But once you become a parent you get drive-by conversations, you get headlines, you don't get the meat of the story. I want the meat of the story again.

It's so easy to get headlines. It's so easy to try to cram marriage into a slot on my calendar. It's so easy to cram 24 hours of conversation into two hours after kids go to bed and before you pass in front of the TV. You get the brain details, but not the heart details. So that's what were going to restore, the heart details carving out time for each other not squeezing time in for each other. We're going to have to make sacrifices. But going to have to cut things out. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be worth it.

Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment