Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Rest

I love my bed.
No really I loveeeee my bed. There is something so safe about it, crawling into the covers, laying in the dip that perfect fits. Ah, bed. 

I don't spend enough time in bed, in that comfort. Going to bed has become something that is more of a drive by snooze, then a recharging rest. Every night, as we are putting the boys to bed I think, I'm going to go crawl into bed too. But then I never do, there are dishes that still need to be done, orders to be shipped out, one more tweek on the website, one more email to answer, one more something.... 


Here's my thought. Is the one more worth it? Yes dishes need done, emails answered, orders shipped, but honestly does it have to happen right now
Are we addicted to being busy?
Do we wear our sleep deprivation as a badge of honor? 

I think we kind of do. 
We talk about rest, but treat it as a hassle, then wonder why we down 5 cups of coffee a day and can't seem to think clearly. Now I'm not saying to be lazy, or that some seasons are just crazy and hectic. I have a 2 month old (excuse me while I cry, she's getting so big!) a 1 year old and 3 year old that both are about to have birthdays. Oh and we run a business out of our home, and my husband works full time outside of the house. There is never enough time, coffee, money, etc. Life is straight up crazy right now. But can it be crazy and still have periods of rest? 
Can we afford to not rest? 



I know that rest does not mean sleep, that rest can mean different things to different people. Rest isn't the same for all. So I wonder, what is my rest? 

2 comments:

  1. This resonates. The addicted to busy part. I think I'm addicted to playing the martyr. To being the last one up working and the first one up working. It gives me some kind of leverage. I don't "owe" anyone because I've been killing myself to get it all done. I don't need them. They need me. And THEN (as if that's not bad enough), I've forgotten how to truly rest. Not the laying in bed, scrolling on my phone kind, but the deeper, engulfed-in-an-amazing-book or take-an-hour-to-be-quiet-and-enjoy-my-tea-and-a-good-movie kind of rest. Basically, I don't rest in a way that's restful a lot of times so that's a big goal of mine this year. Anyway....good questions you're asking there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is Dana @ Happy Little Lovelies, btw. I need to change my username. :)

    ReplyDelete