Going through the box, deciding what would be "her style", was surprisingly emotional for me. Most people assume that because we already had two boys that we wanted a girl. Yes a part of me wanted a girl ((I've been hoarding girl clothes for ever)) but a bigger part of me was terrified of having a girl.
I'm not the biggest "girl" out there..
I can't read lips.
I don't read between the lines.
I don't like pink.
I didn't learn to walk in heels till I was 21.
I'm not a big hugger or squealer (( you know when two girls get all high pitched when they see each other?))
Now I'm not saying these things are bad, if that's you that's great I will still love you! It's just not me.
Pink, glittery tu-tu's make me break out in sweats.
So yes when we heard girl, I got a little panicked.
How was I, the girl that never dried her hair or wore makeup in high school, how was I suppose to teach this girl to be, well a girl.
But it hit me last night.
I'm not teaching this girl to be a girl.
I'm teaching this girl to be Scarlet Mae Pate.
I will teach her to love God with all her heart.
I will teach her brains matter.
I will teach her to express her opinion and that her thoughts matter.
That if she is sporty, be sporty.
If she is artsy, be artsy.
If she's a quiet book worm, read away!
If she is a glittery, tu-tu wearing princess ((lord help me)) lets tea party it up.
She's not just a girl, she is my daughter...
That's a little different.

beautiful post. I don't wear heals because of my disability and its hard for me to walk in them. you have such a beautiful writing style!
ReplyDelete