Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Foodie

For about two weeks now we've gone "under-covered" veggies ("vegetarian light"). It's been a challenge, being 7 months preggo and all, but I actually feel pretty great! We have to pay attention to my protein and dairy intake and other things like that which I was surprised hasn't been that hard. With everyone "cleaning" up their diets, being the new year and all, I thought I would share how we've done it! (a little side note: I'm the girl that can down a pound a bacon in one sitting, who's family serves meat with a side of meat!)



If you trying to go "veggie" or just wanted to add some more color to your diet these are some real great tips that we picked up and tested!

Start small.
Try making 3 meals a week that are full veggie meals! Start small, and start with some thing that looks like what you already eat. Love pasta, do pasta with out meat and add a lot of veggies (squash and zucchini are always winners in pasta!).


Smoothies are a must.
Now I wasn't a smoothie fan at all, nor am I really a fan of fruit. I don't know why, it might be a texture thing I'm not sure I just never liked it! Smoothies are great because they are fast, you can have fruit and veggies, and its so yummy!

Plan for snacks.
Really make snack baggies if you have too. I bought a small can of mixed nuts, a bag of dried mixed fruit, and some popcorn. Throw a handful of each into a baggie and vola trail mix! (add some dark chocolate chips for a little kick)

Predict your "trouble" spot.
For us breakfast during the week hasn't been hard but when it comes to Saturday morning oh, the thoughts of bacon come pouring in. We always do brunch as a family, so we had to plan for that.

Be prepared to eat.
You will eat more, a lot more, but that's not a bad thing. Your filling your body with things that are good for you not heavy processed things that are made to linger in your system. I don't know about you but, it makes me think of a landfill, yuck!

Try something new.
This one has been hard for me. I don't like beans, at least I'm pretty sure I don't. So we have a bag of beans sitting in our pantry right now that I am going to add to a recipe that I already know I like. I've just been a chicken, but I'll let you guys know how that goes!

Don't be too strict.
Please don't! You modify what you need to modify when you need to modify it! This was a big reason why we didn't really talk to others about what we were eating. Its a personal thing. If we want to be veggies that still use milk, or eat chicken when we want than that's what we'll be. Don't feel like you're not doing enough or have to do anything based on
what any label is!
Be healthy, not a label!



No comments:

Post a Comment