I am far from a morning person, so very far. I've always had this desperation to be a morning person. Those early bird gets the worm people always seemed to know this little secret I didn't. This little secret that I just didn't posses. Those who, by time Im grumbling and getting out of bed, have already posted their sunrise runs, morning cups of coffee, and devotionals, all before I even wiped the sleep out of my eyes. Ok, all before I even have both eyes open.
The early morning always seems blissful and perfect. Like, God is easier found, simply heard, and a heart is completely filled.
And I've missed it all.
My early morning are filled with screaming kids, fights to the death over which boy gets the blue bowl, and a sweet little girl that still thinks sleep is over rated. My early mornings do not come blissfully in, they attack. Attack like a two year old throwing a sippy cup at your head. I've tried, oh how I've tried to get up before them. But they know. They can sense that mommy is up. These boys, that can't hear me yelling from three feet away to break up their newest battle, can hear the flutter of my eye lids as I try to get a few minutes of time in the morning.
But our afternoons...
Oh the afternoon, when the two littles are sleeping, the oldest is busy hunched over his workbooks, the house is still. The gorgeous morning light, that I so desperately crave, has now moved to the living room, cracking through the blinds. So I move too.
I move my heart to the afternoon. I stretch my body and flow while children are sleeping. I read, journal, sit, and have a cup of tea and just listen. Instead of the first chirping of birds, there is a gentle hum of the ac unit, the sounds of our postman, and children getting off the bus. But its okay.
Actually its better then okay. Its my little secret time, and I love it. My little break in the middle of the day to realign, to re-tune, and adjust a generally crazy life. Afternoons are a gift. Instead of wishing my gift was the morning, I had to accept and love the afternoons.
Every gift from God is specific to the person receiving it. In this "little people" season, He knows my heart needed the afternoon, more then it needed the mornings. Life is easier when we accept where we are in our season. Every season has it's own gifts, we just have to see them. In all our seasons, we need to not look at other peoples season in crippling jealousy. We need to see the beauty of it all.
My afternoon is beautiful and your morning is beautiful.
It all can be beautiful at the same time.

No comments:
Post a Comment