It's been a while. A long, long while, since I've sat down with my little laptop. Honestly, I haven't wanted too. I haven't wanted to hear the strokes of the keys, or process through a though long enough to make any sense at all. The drive hasn't been there so I let it sit.
Drive is funny. For me it comes and goes as it pleases. One moment driving me crazy at 2 am, checking list for the next day over and over in my head. By 8 when something can be done with all that drive, its gone. Instead, I'm curled up on the couch thanking God that Netflix now automatically starts the next episode. (seriously, greatest thing ever) Drive flies in and out of our home, leaving a mess of unfinished projects, half checked to-do list, and a few frazzled parents.
I want to capture drive and make it work for us, not us against it.
I want to turn drive into something that equals productivity and grace.
A gracefully drive.
So, how? How do we make drive into something productive but not choking?
Grace and a routine.
Now most people would say a schedule but honestly, schedules make me panic. All those little lines, filled in with todo after todo, makes me choke. I always pushed away schedules. My "rules and regulations" self can not handle it with out feeling like a failure. So a few years ago when I heard about replacing a schedule with a routine, I jumped for you.
Now a routine, is just that. A routine. No time constrants, just daily habits that work for your family. No from 8:00-8:45am- Breakfast type lives but a :Wake, Breakfast, Get dressed, Tv/Play time, Morning nap, Lunch, quite time/ afternoon naps/ school, kind of life.
See doesn't that so much less over whelming.
It also gives you a chance to be FLEXABLE.
It gives you a chance to have grace.
We are such a culture of go here, do this, read this, learn that, do eat this, only eat that, get it all done women, that it is choking so many of us. The mommy wars arent really mommy wars, people. They are just over whelmed, under rested women, that are struggling to do it all because some where down the line we were taught that we had too.
Why cant we grab that drive to do it all, and drive it to do what is just needed?
Take that drive, gracefully say no to what isn't good for us, and do what is good for our own families. Even if it looks nothing like how our neighbors, friends, other family members run their own lives. Have a graceful drive.
A graceful drive that says "its ok if you cant do it today, do it tomorrow."
A drive that says "women, that is not what you need to be doing, so stop."
Drive that makes sense for each of us. That kind of drive, doesn't kill us, it really makes a stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment