Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Nesting in the Kitchen- a DIY

I really love a good DIY.
I'm kind of a DIY junkie, I never post them because honestly I always end up hating the pictures I take or I just forget to post them. When I started with 31 days of nesting, I did it will full intentions of doing 31 days of DIYs and organizing but that's not where it went. That's ok.

But, today I'm going to do a little DIY.

The other day I scrubbed my kitchen. Now most of you don't know but that is a huge feat, not only is our house old (aka no dishwasher), we have very limited storage, and I'm just awful at doing dishes. So I broke down one afternoon and scrubbed, reorganized, mopped. I mean top to bottom, inside out kind of cleaned. Yes, that nesting was in full force. A funny thing happened when I was done. I realized I hated my kitchen.

I hated almost everything I had hanging on the walls, any type of decor was making my skin crawl. Dramatic yes, but it got worse. I ripped everything off the walls and stared at the ugly off white creamness that was our walls. Then it hit me, I have no plan for this space. I couldn't put everything back because well, I hated it. Plus I had just pulled shelves off the wall which pulled paint of with it. Needless to say I was staring at more of mess then I started. After a few frantic text to my friends about the likelihood of my death by hubby if I painted the whole thing chalkboard, I remembered the gallon of paint I had laying around the house. Yes I had a gallon of paint laying around, remember what I said, DIY junkie.

So 3 in the afternoon I cracked the can open and started painting.
By 7, the kids where in bed, the wall was finished and this beautiful blue needed some decorating. But decorating with what? Stuck right back in the place I was a few hours before this time with a blue wall, I jumped on Pinterest and found this great, easy DIY.

from Anatomy of a Craft.

Cute huh? 
Well I didn't have the letters, or two matching frames. I did have spoons, spray paint and a canvas.
After a quick coat of chalkboard paint over a canvas picture I'm sure why I bought to begin with, I started lining up my spoons. Five to be exact, one for each of our little family. A few sprays with some pretty white spray paint and voila!

The Pate family in spoons.



I really love it, and it cost me nothing. It was really fun taking little things that we already had and making something new out of it. Plus the hubby loved that I spent nothing in the process!


I have a few more things I want to add to our little wall but for the most part I really love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment