Tuesday, September 11, 2012

C is for Coffee

Mrs Bonn Bonn and I had an interesting conversation about coffee, see I'm addicted and shes not.  I try to explain the amazingness that is coffee and why she should be just as addicted as me. Well as addicted as a preggo lady can be. See, I love coffee, no really love it. If it was another person my husband should be jealous.  It baffles me when someone says they don't like coffee, truly baffles me. Then I remember a time, oh so long ago that I didn't like coffee. Thankfully my hubby & brother both are coffee snobs. They taught me there was actually an art behind coffee. Yes an art. I might have laughed in their faces but it really changed how I drank and thought about coffee. So today I wanted to share a bit of my coffee 101 with you!



All coffees are not created equal.
Different coffees in different regions have different notes, which are under tones of flavor. If you know what to "look" for you can taste them!
Colombian - Medium roast with a balanced nutty notes. Think walnut like after taste.
Breakfast- Medium roast with a citric notes. Think crisp and tangy in flavor.
French- Dark roast with an intense smoky notes. Think an earthy blunt flavor.


Coffee does NOT need to be in the freezer.
Freezing coffee grounds or beans will not make the coffee last longer. It actually does the opposite. Freezing coffee creates moisture in the coffee which will make it go bad quickly. The best way to store the coffee is in a air tight container in a dark place. Once you open a bag you have 2-3 weeks to drink it. Grinding whole bean is also much better and fresher then pre-ground coffee.


Dark roast does not mean higher caffeine.
Shocker I know. Coffee when roasted loses some of the caffeine in the process, so the darker the roast the less caffeine is in the coffee.

I really hope you can look at a cup of coffee in a whole new light. By understanding what you are buying, what you should look for in notes and tones, and how to store your coffee to keep it fresh you will totally love coffee so much more.


Get a super cute mug from Mrs Bonn Bonn's shop and go try some out some of the tips!

3 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to coffee as well - it makes the world go around, at least in my house :) I'm working on converting my husband to it. Great tips on finding good coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those matching mugs! I love coffee too, but only 1 cup a day for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I always buy coffee at costco AND it lasts FOREVER...BUT i've been drinking OLD coffee this whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete