Then I saw this face
Meet Marckenley. This precious boy is the newest Pate, he is our Compassion International Child. I've walked by tables after tables of the years of compassion children (I hate to admit that.) but, this weekend at Beth Moore Friday night I walked pass the tables and saw that little precious face. That little face that is one year older than my Baby Man. That little face with his hands shoved in his pockets with that glimmer of grit in his eyes. That little face stared up at me Friday night.
I walked away. Yes I'm not proud of it, but I walked away thinking if he was still there in the morning he would be mine.
The next morning (and I mean MORNING!) I walked past the table again and his little face stared up at me. There were quite a few people standing around the tables. I'm sure one of them would grab his little card. Who wouldn't want that little face in their lives, I thought. I sat there waiting for the worship to start, I started wrestling. I was expecting someone else to take Marckenley, I was waiting for someone else to do something that was laid so heavily on my heart that I couldn't sleep the night before, and for what? I was scared that we couldn't afford to help him. What was I scared of? Not having coffee creamer? Skipping Chick Fil A for dinner? Not buying a new shirt for the boys?
It punched me in my guts, was coffee creamer really more important then that little face, that little soul? Yes I can make a list a mile long of things that we "need". A second car, a dresser, more winter clothes for our boys, and it goes on and on. I think of that little boys mom, what's her list? Food for her kids, a job that pays, a safe home, hope for their future, and all I can think of is if I get my coffee creamer or not?!
Yes, I ran back to that table. Really I must have looked like a lunatic, flying through a sea of half awake women. I snatched that little face up, said this one is mine, and thank God that He has said the same thing about me.
So I'm keeping my blog sponsorship, just how they are. Why? Because Marckenley needs us ladies, so many of the children need us. There are some that have been on a the list for years. The sponsorships on this blog, is going to go to sponsor Marckenely. If you want to help us bless that sweet little boy join us by clicking the sponsor tab or even better click the link on the sidebar and see if you have a little face out there waiting for you to give up coffee creamer.
This brings tears to my eyes. We wrestled with this Saturday after I got home. I found the youtube link to the video on Compassion that they showed at Beth Moore. I sent it to my husband. We've thought about doing this for a while - over the years off and on. But it really got to me this time. I knew we had to do something. I wanted to do something NOW but we'd have to adjust our budget to make it work. Kind of like the coffee creamer thing. We'd have to figure out which meal out we could skip. We thought that's just so ridiculous. When we looked online at the profiles and saw that these families bring in maybe $33 or less a month, that shook us. That is a meal out for us! One meal. And that's what they MIGHT bring home each month. We scoured the profiles, not sure what we were looking for and then a sweet little 8 year old face looked at me and I saw that his family brought home MAYBE $5 a month. $5. I cried. That is beyond horrible. They make in one month less than I would spend at Starbucks....once. We're making it work. And we have brought a little boy - Dufitimana - into our hearts all the way from Rwanda.
ReplyDeletethis is amazing. this got me a little choked up. i have done the same thing. for years walking by the compassion tables, saying "one day..." i used to say "until i have my own kids i want to sponsor one..." and now i have 3 and still have not done this. i am ashamed of my selfishness and laziness. you really got me thinking, girl. thank you for this.. what a blessing you are. i dont know what i wasnt "following your blog" before, but i am now. i found you at 5ohwifeys page...
ReplyDeletewhat a great way to use your sponsor income and an awesome thing to know what people are investing into...
So happy to see this! I completely agree with your feelings in sponsorships, as I am semi new to them an was confused when first learning about them. Thank you for being an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this and for continuing your blog sponsorship. My sister actually works for Compassion; She just returned from one of the Compassion projects in Ecuador. I can honestly say that this ministry is doing amazing, life-changing work. It may seem strange, awkward, or inconvenient, but you really are making a difference with "the least of these."
ReplyDelete