Monday, June 18, 2012

Meet Hilary!



I am so thrilled for today's guest! Drum roll please... 
The FABULOUS Hilary, of Handmade by Hilary! 

I simple adore this lady. 
She is the only person out there that 
could turn this punk rock loving girl, 
into a big hat rocking, pearl wearing, 
monogrammed Charlestonian girl! 
(secretly, I love her for it but don't tell her!) 

I have loved getting to know her better over the past few years. 
She really has inspired me to jump in to my business and 
has been the best person ever to have a booth beside. 
Especially when your six months pregnant, 
sitting out in the cold, 
and rocking the cutest heel boots 
(you know the kind that for some reason you still try and squeeze your fat preggo feet in...) 
Anyways back to the guest post....

Meet Hilary!


I am so honored to share on Tiffany's blog today! I have known Tiffany for probably 5 years, but just became good friends with her after we had babies 6 months apart, and I love our friendship! It is great having friends with kids around the same age and having friends who love to create pretty handmade goodies to sell! ;) 


Today I just wanted to share a few things that I've learned about being in the blogging/crafting/selling handmade loop. I have learned not to compare my self to others. This is one of the hardest things ever!!! I have to tell you a few years back, I started selling some handmade things at different craft shows, and of course I got set up beside the cutest vendor ever. I was so jealous that my vendor space was as cute as hers, and of course she was selling way more things than me and I became very jealous. I had a bad attitude for the rest of the weekend, and it was miserable. The problem was that this lady had no idea I was so jealous over her. At church that weekend, the message from my pastor was on envy, and I felt the Lord tugging at my heart to give it over to him and forgive that lady for being so hard-hearted towards her. I gave it to the Lord, felt total freedom from it. I just couldn't believe I let Satan get in my head and turn such an exciting time for me into a miserable time because I'm trying to compare myself to her. This Bible verse about jealousy put me back into place: 

"For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." James 3:16-17


Since that occasion, I have had a supportive attitude towards other vendors at events that I am selling at. I try to pray for them as I sell things, and I also try to support them. I love buying things from my friends who make handmade goods. This past Christmas, I tried buying only handmade things for my family and friends for Christmas. It was a success!! Having a supportive attitude should not only be about people who sell handmade, but it could be to other bloggers. It really doesn't matter how many followers you have, in the end, all that matters is your heart with Jesus! The jealousy could be at your corporate business, when you just found out that your coworker got a promotion and you didn't. I just want to encourage you to give over the envy to God.

 "Love is patient, kind, does not envy..." 1 Corinthians 13:4



A few of my favorite things I'm doing right now are monogrammed straw hats, monogram zip up pillow slipcovers, and monogrammed ipad cases! You can check them out in my etsy shop www.hilarysurratt.etsy.com, I also have a blog {www.hilarysurratt.blogspot.com} & I like to tweet, but my new love is instagram! I'm @hilarysurratt! Hop on over and follow me so I can follow you back! Thanks for letting me share today, Tiffany! 


I know you have enjoyed reading about Hilary, 
and I thank her so much for sharing her heart. 
Her big pink, monogrammed heart! 
It is such a breath of fresh air and a great reminder to us all.

Added bonus, Handmade by Hilary is apart of the giveaway 
that starts tomorrow. Don't forget to check it out!

Proof of the Monogram.






No comments:

Post a Comment