I've learned that people will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.
-Maya Angelou
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.
-Maya Angelou
Over the past few years, I have been really worried (almost obsessive) with what I say. I try very very hard to think about what I am saying and how I think that person will take it. It's hard, very hard at times. With some people I can just easily know and understand how my words effect them, but with others it is really hard.
Its so easy to fall in to bad habits, to be so use to the people in your life and them always being there. How many of us just throw words, actions, and looks around that are hurtful all while believing "they love me, they know I don't mean anything by it."
I'm sorry but, just because they love you doesn't mean they like being hurt.
I'm just as guilty of saying thing in tones, or with attitudes that are hurtful. The funny thing is, most of the time I fling out pain because I was hurt. It becomes: you hurt me, I'm going to hurt you back and lets see who can make the other feel the smallest.
I look at Holden and think, how will my words to him make him feel:
Its so easy to fall in to bad habits, to be so use to the people in your life and them always being there. How many of us just throw words, actions, and looks around that are hurtful all while believing "they love me, they know I don't mean anything by it."
I'm sorry but, just because they love you doesn't mean they like being hurt.
I'm just as guilty of saying thing in tones, or with attitudes that are hurtful. The funny thing is, most of the time I fling out pain because I was hurt. It becomes: you hurt me, I'm going to hurt you back and lets see who can make the other feel the smallest.
I look at Holden and think, how will my words to him make him feel:
like he can do anything, or like I am totally disappointed in him?
Will he feel like the king of the world, or the beggar on the side of the street?
How will my hurtful words to his dad effect him?
Will he feel like the king of the world, or the beggar on the side of the street?
How will my hurtful words to his dad effect him?
It hurts to think that the words I say not only to Holden but, to Chris can have such a negative impact on my baby man! Not only my words to my family, but my words to this world can mold and shape Holden's view of life!
What does it say to him when I yell at the person that cut us off in the car?
What is it going to teach him when I speak so negativity about people, or things?
Even when I'm "joking" is it funny or hurtful?
Is a joke, a joke, when all it does is cut someone?
Do I want my baby man living in a world where he sees everything in a negative light, or do I want him to love and love hard. Love in a way that people can see the God that loves him? Do I want him to grow into a man that sees hope and good in everyone?
Matthew 12:34.
So instead of focusing on my words, the result of my heart, I am going to focus on my heart. Focus on the root, the core of everything. Constantly poring good in to my heart. With that goodness, I will be able to pore out good.
What does it say to him when I yell at the person that cut us off in the car?
What is it going to teach him when I speak so negativity about people, or things?
Even when I'm "joking" is it funny or hurtful?
Is a joke, a joke, when all it does is cut someone?
Do I want my baby man living in a world where he sees everything in a negative light, or do I want him to love and love hard. Love in a way that people can see the God that loves him? Do I want him to grow into a man that sees hope and good in everyone?
It says that my baby, is my arrow.
My little blue eyed arrow that I launch in to this world, an arrow that what I do effects the direction he goes! It starts with me and my mouth, my attitude, my heart. What is in your heart is shown by your words. Psalm 127:4.
Matthew 12:34.
So instead of focusing on my words, the result of my heart, I am going to focus on my heart. Focus on the root, the core of everything. Constantly poring good in to my heart. With that goodness, I will be able to pore out good.
today's post comes from a writing prompt over at Moma's Losin' it!
What a wonderful response to Maya's quote. We do need to be very careful of our words and actions around our children. We easily forget how much they learn about life through us as their model.
ReplyDeleteVisiting via Mama Kat's!
Sounds like you are a wonderful mom - and Holden is so lucky to have you.
ReplyDeleteEveryone should read this, and look at it the same way you do - can you imagine what a better place the world would be?
Loved this.
Stopped by from Mama Kat's.
I know my words, actions and attitude are so bad sometimes, and I don't even realize until I see the person's reaction. Now that I'm a mother, I try my best to watch what I say or how I do things because I don't want my son to pick up on anything negative.
ReplyDelete