Saturday, June 26, 2010

Spleen meet Stomach....

Plyorus- the little muscle and the bottom of your stomach.

Go ahead and ask me how do I, the girl who can't even watch someone touch their eye ball, know what a plyorus is.
I got really up close and personal with my son's today.

See it all started yesterday when Holden woke up screaming about 45 minutes into his nap. I rocked him, tried to burp him, love on him, and finally after about and hour feed him. (He has just had 6oz before I had put him down.) He was sucking down his bottle in his normal he-man baby way when sudden he vomited. It looked like the whole bottle just came pouring out of his little mouth! Calling my mom in a panic she left work and came over to help.

Needless to say, I promptly called his doctor and got an appointment for today.

The doctor came in with a growth chart and starting talking to us about the fact that our son was about four pounds under weight.

Talk about having your stomach fall to the floor!

Now the little guy has had some problems over the past three weeks. Everything from me not producing enough milk to none at all, to lactose issues, constipation, ect. Plus he's a big spitter-uper, but four pounds underweight. I felt punched in the face!

The doctor promptly drew out a diagram of a stomach and was telling us how sometimes the muscle called the pylorous can become swollen and will keep food from entering the intestines. Which prevents the calories from being absorbed into the body. The only way to check for this is to do an ultrasound and then if it is swollen, surgery.

SURGERY! My little almost three month old is laying on this table and the doctor is talking about surgery. My spleen fell to the floor to hang out with my stomach right about then.

We were sent straight down stairs to have the ultrasound done asap. We had to wait about two and a half hour before it was done. There was my baby laying on yet another table having an ultrasound done. He looked so tiny laying on that huge table. The little ultrasound paddles that they used took up his whole stomach! It was heartbreaking. But, he was so good. Not crying at all, he actually fell asleep!

We had to wait around for about 40 minutes waiting for the test results, which thank God came back negative. The little man has to go in next week to get weighed again, so we're praying!

What did I learn from all this...

ALWAYS trust your mommaguts! They are God given for a reason! I had been saying since week one that I thought something was funny about his weight. Well this momma learned her lesson. She ain't taking no "your a first time mom" crap anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment