Tuesday, May 6, 2014

When Mother's Day Hurts



This week is always hard, and I know I'm not the only one that finds Mothers Day, painful. 
For me, it's a reminder of years ago when I discovered I was pregnant for the first time. Only to miscarry a few weeks later.
Every year, it happens the same way. I start of strong, few weeks before, knowing it will be okay. No matter what I do, Mothers Day is going to roll around and I wont know how I will react to it till it happens. Then the pit in my stomach starts to grow, I get weepy, quite, and then I hide. 
Every year all I want to do is hide. 

I want to bury my head in the sand, stick my fingers in my ears and yell "la la la la" till it is all over. 
Now, I know how incredibly blessed I am with my little people. I know how much other peoples hearts are breaking, too. That make's my heart break even more.

Mothers that morn never being able to get pregnant.
Mothers waiting for LOA's.
Mothers that gave their child the biggest gift they could by letting them go. 
Mothers who are walking into this weekend for the first time, after losing a child.
Children who are morning their Mothers. 
See this time of year, hurts a lot of us. Many of us cant express the pain that comes with this weekend. Many of us don't know where to start, fearful of not being understood, or get blind sided by the emotions that Mothers Day brings. 
There's hope. Oh there is so much hope, I'm just finding. 

The other day, a friend and I were chatting back and forth and reminded me of the verse. 


I will be the first to admit, I have STRUGGLED with this verse for years. I always read "hiding" as a negative act.

Hiding = being scared, and not going after life. Not facing things head on.

That wasn't how I wanted to live my life. I wanted freedom, and freedom doesn't come with fear. 
Neither does hiding. Hiding in Christ is safe, its letting Him fight your battles, wipe your tears, and understand the word of your heart that your mouth can't form. 

2 Corinthians say "My grace is all you need, my power works best in weakness". I can go into this weekend, hiding, and be okay this time. Not hiding in my own power, my own fears, my own pain. I can go in hiding in His Grace, His love, His power. That is more sustaining then anything I can ever do on my own.

So yes, I might cry. 
I might morn. 
Morn both of the babies we lost, morn that life doesn't look the way I expected.

But, I will hide in His grace, and wait. 
Wait to see His power, His love, and that comfort that passes all understand.

2 comments:

  1. HappyLittleLoveliesMay 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM

    Thank you, thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are mourning the loss of my mother-in-law, Kandy, this weekend. She died one month after Eleanor was born. Kandy was the first one apart from Matt and me to hold Eleanor. We made sure of that. She died of Stage 4 Lung Cancer. We found out on a Tuesday and she passed away the following Sunday. We're still grieving. I guess we always will.

    ReplyDelete