Then yesterday happened.
Everything and I mean EVERYTHING in me wants to write a nice long post telling off the horribly rude waitress that we had at breakfast.
Sunday the boys got up at, oh 5 am. Well G was up at 1 then again at 5 and H invaded our bed at 6, but I was up at 5. After a false start of begging H to go back to bed, cups of milk, cookies, and even a 45 minutes of H and I curled up in his little toddler bed, I realized sleep was not going to happen. If sleep was not coming back to the Pate home, then the Pates need pancakes and coffee!
After wrangling the boys (all three of them) together, 3 outfit changes from me, we where out the door at the restaurant and coffee ordered!
*deep breath out*
Then it happened. Our waitress brought our drinks out; a cup of apple juice (with the lid not on correctly), two cups of HOT coffee, and a pitcher of coffee, which she placed on the table right in front of H. Yes, a tray of hot liquids and cups with out lids in front of a toddler.
Wanna guess what happened next?
Of course H went straight for his cup. After barking at him in my best mom voice "hands down H" he pulled back and didn't touch his cup, but went straight for the coffee. "Hands down H." Attention diverted from the cup to the pot.
Then she did it. She shoved H away.
Not only did she shoved him , she looked at me and said "at least do something more then just say his name."
Yeah.... That happened. Lets just say I spent the next 45 minutes telling her off. In my head. I just wanted to get out of there before my self control failed. After an eternity, the check came and Mr Pate handed her his card. When the check came back I passed it to the hubby to tip & sign.
He put his hand up and stated "you do it".
Oh no....
"Trust me" I started "you do not want me to do."
Forget 20%, forget 10%, this chick is getting nadda.
"No you do it. You know what to do."
Dang it! I knew he was going to do that. I knew exactly what Mr. Pate was trying to make me do. The right thing. The nice thing. The Christ like thing. I started mentally making a list.
Obviously, she doesn't have kids.
It is getting a little busy.
Her boss really doesn't seem very supportive.
These table set ups does make it hard to move around
It is early. Even though I was up at five. Just saying.
It is Sunday.
If she was so rude to us, she might be rude to other tables too.
Those other tables might not be nice back.
I'm sure she just shoved him because she was scared he would get burned.
I'm sure she just shoved him because she was scared he would get burned.
If I suppose to be a light,
oh no....
Dang it....
I don't wanna!
It is so much easier to "know" then "do". Doing takes stuffing our pride, anger, frustration, the urge to punch a random person in the face down and do something different. I am not always good at it, actually I do it wrong more than I do it right. Some times I just hate doing what we are called to do.
How about you?

Good for you! I'm impressed because I doubt I would have been as kind. It's wonderful that your husband knew what you needed!
ReplyDeletegirl, I am still stewing. I have to admit, I have fought the urge to call and complain. But, I'm biting my tongue. If I believe that I need grace when i act a fool, then I need to give that grace too...
ReplyDeleteThanks for being honest and sharing the struggle...gives us a challenge to DO the right thing in the middle of our frustrations.
ReplyDeleteyou'd be surprised at how seeing a child deal with a burn can alter you completely (yes, even turn you into someone who doesn't care how they come off to a complete stranger)
ReplyDeleteafter witnessing the recovery of many, many children in the pediatric burn unit at Johns Hopkins hospital, i have actually tackled children to keep them away from harm! (and that is just not me!) myself being someone who is forever changed by witnessing the heartbreaking recovery process of a scalded child, it totally sounds like this may have been the case with your waitress. i think it was very wise of you to pour out grace on her and cover her actions with Christ's love. because, really, you can't know what made her react that way.
Wow, you're a strong woman than me. It's one thing for a stranger to step in for safety, but it's another to step in to discipline both my kid and then ME! Loving your blog and style - new follower! So glad I found you!
ReplyDeleteLB
www.accordingtol.com